Bowen Island Bowen Island
BowenOnline | Directory | | Accommodations |Classifieds | BC Ferry |Bus Schedule | Bowen Express Bus| Cormorant Marine | Bowen Land & Sea Taxi |Bowen Phone E-Book |The Bowen Phone Book | | Bowen OnLine Advertising Rates |

Bowen OnLine Forum is a community chat forum. Registration with real names/emails required.
Don't attack others personally, keep your language decent and NO BICKERING.
Posts involving the exchange of money will be treated as classified ads. Info: barbarawiltshire@shaw.ca

Winter Road Maintenance- Snow Clearing

Posted by Peter 
Winter Road Maintenance- Snow Clearing
January 01, 2009 01:04PM
Ever since I moved here in the early 70's, I've heard and contributed to the carping and griping about inadequate snow clearing capacity. Bowen isn't alone in this obviously- Vancouver has WAY less snow plow capacity/km of roadways.

Also, the Dec. 24th storm dumped a lot of snow, there were Stat. Holidays that went uncelebrated by the crews, and there were equipment glitches, plus vehicles parked that have been hard to get around.

However, I'm trying to get an idea of whether most roads have now had some attention. Are there roads in your neighbourhoods, other than 'unmaintained public roads' that have not had ANY clearing, salting or sanding? This latest few centimetres aside...

Also, what are conditions like now in your areas?

Thanks- this is just for a snap shot.
Re: Winter Road Maintenance- Snow Clearing
January 01, 2009 01:23PM
Bluewater Area

Clipper Place off of Captains Way was plowed ONCE since the first snow. Right now it is pure ice.

We dug out a parking spot on the side of the road on Captains Way. And hike up to our car.

We have no snow tires, so we have only gone out once since before Christmas.

We surely can use more COMMUNICATION in the moment by moment style in regards to road conditions, even today it would be nice to hear if the bus in on and what roads are passable.

With the great technology we have available surely we should take advantage of it.
January 01, 2009 01:29PM
Senator Road in Deep Bay also plowed early on, but now snow covered with hard ice.
January 01, 2009 01:29PM
Hi Peter,
Reef Road (part of the regular Bluewater-Cove bus route) and sections of Tunstall Blvd are still treacherous with a combination of 1" compacted snow/slush, ice and bare patches. (Last night Reef Road was blocked off entirely due to black ice.) December 30th, Peter King had to do his own road maintenance on Reef in order to keep the bus running. The road has not been addressed since then.

In fact, there has been no plowing in the last 3 days. A good scrape down to bare pavement would be a huge improvement, alleviate/eliminate the ice, and give the bus drivers the support they deserve.

Cheers,
Susan & Alan
January 01, 2009 01:37PM
I live on upper Eagles Nest road and have had to hike to my car parked just off scarborough on Lower Eagles Nest since before xmas. It's been "fun" hauling kids, an ailing old dog and xmas dinner groceries up our hill on a toboggan! All my neighbours (about 12-15 by latest count) have been hiking in as well. I think the plow visited once. But now it's a messy thick slippery hard pack and the teenagers are having fun using the road as a toboggan run. Just appreciating the opportunity to work off a few extra holiday calories. Not so nice for the elderly or my sister inlaw from Montreal who comes wearing high heel fashion boots!!.
January 01, 2009 01:53PM
I agree! I just checked the muni site and the last "update" on road conditions is dated Dec. 18!
January 01, 2009 01:55PM
What year, Heather?
January 01, 2009 01:59PM
Smith road has been plowed once and Fernie road (out by Xenia) not at all.
January 01, 2009 02:08PM
Harding Road was plowed around December 30, at least, and was in reasonable shape then for a 4WD and ice tires. The private part of the road (with six or seven homes?) is bad, but I expect that's the same everywhere.
January 01, 2009 02:51PM
Willys way is also a mess. Just vehicle tracks lined with ice. I helped a mom and her 2 young kids take baby steps all the way down to the corner at Adams by holding the free hand of one of the youngsters so they all wouldn't fall.
January 01, 2009 02:55PM
There you go Peter, you got your snapshots. Now what??
January 01, 2009 03:01PM
Ha! Ha! You got me. Here I am assuming it was 08! ;-)
January 01, 2009 04:45PM
Mt Gardner always seems to be forgotten. The road from the school to the Highways Yard is always bare but it is a very different road beyond. It has been tended to now but always is a couple of days at least behind the rest of the main roads. The plow has been down Woods road but the leg to Mt Gardner Wharf doesn't look like it has been touched.

Richard

Man cannot survive except by gaining knowledge, and reason is his only means to gain it. AynRand
Anonymous User
January 01, 2009 05:26PM
Lenora - Melmore loop is plowed (sort of) but passable. For the most part it's now a one lane road and not necessarily because of parked cars.
January 01, 2009 05:41PM
To add to your snapshots, Peter, Old Cowan Road on Bishop Hill was ploughed once this year around ten days ago. Now it's a frozen dangerous steep sheet of ice. When Zel and I walked in the Cove on the 30th, the driver of a plough said (after we asked for help) he couldn't plough it because it is too icy. The bottom of the hill near Adams/Grafton is, as Toni wrote, an icerink. We specifically park our cars at the bottom of the hill so that we make use of the mainroad to the Cove. This year even if we shovel out the car, the fifty feet from Willie's Way to Grafton Road (which is flat) is impassable due to ice. Would sanding and salting have helped us out??? I think it might have. Each year we have a real challenge on the hill. WIth thanks for the crews for keeping the mainroads open and with a hope that Cowan Road will be a part of regular maintenance.
January 01, 2009 07:23PM
Taylor & Channelview have been plowed frequently, and are passable for most vehicles.
Mostly single lane, some places a bit wider.
Lots of parked cars in the snowbanks.

The oiled-gravel surface of Channelview is breaking up badly, and will need major patching when the snow has gone.
January 01, 2009 08:31PM
O.K. here I am posting on the forum again, something I try to refrain from doing. But I'm going to try to give you some perspective from a plow operators view. First, these are not magical vehicles, if you are having problems driving on the road chances are we are to. If there is a layer of ice on a road the plow will not scrape it down to bare pavement ( I know reef rd. is a nightmare but trust me we have plowed it and salted it, and will continue salting it but it probably will only get better when the thaw comes). Yes some roads do get left to long , but it comes down to where the most traffic is traveling. We tried to plow Bishops hill today but got pinched off by cars parked on the side of the road and the ditch. Because plowing is so hard on trucks we are constantly trying to repair them and get them back on the road. We have had a lot of snow so far this winter and that results in to a lot of one lane roads because there is only so much room to push the snow so we all have to drive a little more cautiously and pass each other slowly. If we want better snow removal than we as tax payers have to be prepared to spend a lot of money for the three weeks out of the year that it snows here (and I am not prepared to spend that money). I also think a lot of people forget that living on Bowen is kind of like living in the country but people expect city like services for some reason. As for the emergency vehicles they are chained up and two of them are four wheel drive, there isn't a spot on Bowen that we couldn't get them if we had to.
January 01, 2009 10:27PM
Thank you Chris for communicating of how the road crew works.

To actually hear from someone who works with the crews is something we have be asking for.

Please please continue to post any information you have.

This may cut down on all the calls Peter King receives.
January 01, 2009 11:41PM
Right on Chris. I think there has been too much wanking going on throughout the lower mainland. What did they do 40 years ago when this happened? I think people rolled up their sleeves and pitched in and helped each other in their communities. We all knew these weather systems were coming so people should have been prepared and been ready for the worst. After all it is just snow and was not a firestorm or an earthquake which we may never have warning about.
January 02, 2009 08:18AM
Chris,

Thank you for your post - and for your information too. Of course we live in the country, not the city - part of Bowen's beauty for us all. I understood Peter's invitation to share conditions not as "rant" but how to plan for ploughing next year or even this year if we have more snowfall. I have a question for you re: Bishop Hill and cars on the side preventing the ploughing, The cars from up the hill park down on the side because we cannot get our vehicles down once it snows. What could we do to make it easier for the ploughs? Where could we park? Do you have suggestions? If you can give guidelines as to what would make it easier for the crews, I will email our Bishop Hill Email list and we can try to make a difference for you and for us too. Thanks to all for your hard work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login