Bowen Island Bowen Island
BowenOnline | Directory | | Accommodations |Classifieds | BC Ferry |Bus Schedule | Bowen Express Bus| Cormorant Marine | Bowen Land & Sea Taxi |Bowen Phone E-Book |The Bowen Phone Book | | Bowen OnLine Advertising Rates |

Bowen OnLine Forum is a community chat forum. Registration with real names/emails required.
Don't attack others personally, keep your language decent and NO BICKERING.
Posts involving the exchange of money will be treated as classified ads. Info: barbarawiltshire@shaw.ca

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

A final farewell

Posted by ambrose m 
A final farewell
November 30, 2010 02:53PM
As of midnight tonight I officially no longer live on Bowen.

I came to this jewel in the Sound just over four years ago. Sadly, due to various things including a marriage break-up, three and a half of those four years have, without doubt, been the absolute worst of my life. I have plumbed the depths of depression and found the pits to be virtually bottomless.

There were too many times when despair was absolute, loneliness cut deep into my soul and the pain was such that, with the best will in the world, I could see no way that I could possibly go on.

But go on I did and in no small part because of the two things that make Bowen so special - its natural beauty and its people.

On one of the worst days I vividly remember picking myself off the cold tile floor and dragging myself, the most unwilling of participants, out of the house and onto Skid trail on Gardner. So many times I found peace and great strength as I walked up that quiet trail. I made friends with a tree beside a little pond. It stood there impassive, alive long before me and long after. It just was. It taught me to just be. Even if just being was unbearably painful. I learnt so much from the forest, the mountains, the streams and all that makes up Bowen's landscape. Its stunning beauty can't help but fill one's heart.

It is a stunning beauty that is only rivalled by its people. I have made such beautiful, deep friendships that have sustained me through so much. Beyond those close ties I count in hundreds those people who I still call friends even if the relationship is simpler. A wave on the road, a nod in the ferry line up, a hug on the street, some banter in the Snug. I knew that every one of those hundreds would help if help were needed.

Help was needed, even if I couldn't actually ask. In every wave, every smile and every hug was a little piece of help. It reminded me that I wasn't really alone. It reminded me that people knew me, cared about me and saw me as a friend.

So now I have left I will ask Barbara to close my account. I'll follow the stories and of course I'll be back to visit. I did my best to bring something good to the island and the forum. But for now I leave that jewel in the Sound in your capable hands. Take care of it and take care of the people you share it with. Never forget that a friendly wave, a gentle smile or a loving hug can make the world of a difference to a neighbour who might be struggling. The magic is that it will also help you just as much.

Love
Ambrose
PS I should add that I am doing much better these days. I'm pouring my energies into this new project, which I am sure you will all agree, is right up my street: [www.stuntcock.com]
Re: A final farewell
November 30, 2010 03:23PM
Go Stunt Cock, go! Love you, Ambrose...
Anonymous User
November 30, 2010 03:28PM
Wish I had a better ending double entendre (ant ender? or is that a Prince Albert?) to wish you the best. Off you go then. Best adventures!
November 30, 2010 04:55PM
I will miss you Ambrose... be well... have fun... stay in touch...
November 30, 2010 05:09PM
Ambrose, this may be old and corny but then so am I. Good luck and God speed on your new adventures.
Lyn

May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of his hand.

May God be with you and bless you:
May you see your children's children.
May you be poor in misfortune,
Rich in blessings.
May you know nothing but happiness
From this day forward.

May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the warm rays of sun fall upon your home
And may the hand of a friend always be near.

May green be the grass you walk on,
May blue be the skies above you,
May pure be the joys that surround you,
May true be the hearts that love you.
November 30, 2010 05:25PM
You will be missed and fondly remembered Ambrose.
May you be happy and make happy.
all the best to you!
November 30, 2010 06:02PM
As long as you remember us fondly, your account shall stay open.
Drop in now and then.
November 30, 2010 06:47PM
I'm one of those who never REALLY got to know you, Ambrose. We've chatted, waved and said hi... but, unfortunately never really talked. Never really gotten to know each other.
I wish you all the very best in whatever road you choose. You have brought a sense of community to this wonderful Forum Community. I know you have made me Laugh Out Loud on more than one occasion. You do have many 'friends' here, Ambrose. I hope I will be remembered as one, who could have been.
Anonymous User
November 30, 2010 06:57PM
Fare well Ambrose. What an eloquent goodbye. A blessing when when people are soft and warm when things are tough . Embrace the next adventure -- although what it is, I'm not sure....I mean I know what it is, but.....??? :-)

wynn
November 30, 2010 07:03PM
See you in Skirtsilano...wooops...I mean Kitsilano....We'll be visiting to make sure you don't break too many hearts there..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2010 07:04PM by donnie.
November 30, 2010 07:06PM
Oh Ambrose - how lucky we were to have you here - we will miss you! I too did not know you well but you made me howl out loud on a bunch of occasions. I would sometimes just read your posts not even caring much about the content! Stay well and stay in touch. Wishing you the very best!
Carol
November 30, 2010 07:29PM
Ah, Ambrose, we will miss you. But as they say, "the best is yet to come". Stay in touch and grace us with your love and your wit.
November 30, 2010 08:11PM
But Ambrose, you said you'd respect me in the morning... ;-) Bien Vivre!

Laurel
November 30, 2010 08:31PM
Onward and upward! Good luck you to Ambrose.
November 30, 2010 08:53PM
From the moment Peter and I met you and passed along those bunk beds, we have called you friend. We've shared dinner with you over some lovely Okanagan wine. Best wishes for your new adventure. ( Maybe we will see you with a table at Bowfest someday?!) You are always welcome to darken our doorstep! Take care my friend!
November 30, 2010 09:32PM
Be well Ambrose, and may you find all the good stuff that life has to offer you! You will be missed! Here's hoping our paths will cross again! Titania
December 01, 2010 12:04AM
Ambrose - this is a beautiful farewell. You have been blessed by your time among us but you have also left blessings in your wake. Your wit and humor and full embrace of this place and all its quirks and delights has left us a little better off than we were four years ago. Come back anytime or follow your heart and disappear into the world that is waiting for you to be your fullest self. I'm glad you are well. You'll be fondly remembered, mate.
December 01, 2010 03:50AM
Ambrose,
We've been friends since the moment I walked up to you at the beer garden at Bowfest all those years ago. I will not say any goodbyes because good friends and favourite books have one thing in common - they never leave your life because they are always in your heart. What you have given me stays with me and is cherished. I hope the reverse is true. We have unfinished business, you and I and don't try to hide in Kitsilano or I'll phone your mother!!
Big Hugs and Sloppy Kisses.
December 01, 2010 08:52AM
Thank you all.
December 01, 2010 08:55AM
Bye Ambrose. Or should I say Hi Again?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login