Bowen Island Bowen Island
BowenOnline | Directory | | Accommodations |Classifieds | BC Ferry |Bus Schedule | Bowen Express Bus| Cormorant Marine | Bowen Land & Sea Taxi | Road Conditions |Bowen Phone E-Book |The Bowen Phone Book | | Bowen OnLine Advertising Rates |

Bowen OnLine Forum is a community chat forum. Registration with real names/emails required.
Don't attack others personally, keep your language decent and NO BICKERING.
Posts involving the exchange of money will be treated as classified ads. Info: barbarawiltshire@shaw.ca

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Bowen Queen Week 2

Posted by Peter 
Bowen Queen Week 2
January 13, 2015 06:02PM
I have not gone in very often, but if today was representative (Tuesday), BCFS is doing a terrific job ensuring the ferry is well loaded and people are inconvenienced as little as possible.

The 7:30 am ferry overloaded with only about 5 cars left behind. 8:30 a snug fit, but all? got on.

There is an extra deckhand ensuring cars are well bunched up. Still a few drivers not trying hard to reduce space between them and car ahead.... There was an extra mate on duty, 'breaking in' new deck hands, and figuring which pattern- 6 or a cramped 7 lanes, worked best in the tradeoff between number of vehicles and time to load/unload.

In Horseshoe Bay, the priority lane was working well, and an attendant was moving cones around to make sure vehicles got loaded in the right order. The 2:25 ferry was almost full.

I'd say people are adapting well to the ferry size reduction, and other than the weekend 'operational delays', this has been going fairly well. What are other people's views?
Re: Bowen Queen Week 2
January 13, 2015 06:59PM
I love the ride on the little ferry, the vibration, noise and open deck and the just the feel of it all.

Too bad we can't have two of these running opposite each other on a full time basis.
January 13, 2015 07:00PM
I haven't hit an overload coming home in over 6 months with the Q of capilano. Since the bowen queen came back I've hit 3 overloads coming home on either 5::30 or 6:30pm. Despite leaving lots of time overloads are in place before the top of the hour now. Am currently waiting now for the 7:30 due to the 6:30pm being overloaded at 6:05.
Did not think there would be so many overloads. So my experience is not great so far. But it's always good to know you'll get home in time to go to bed.
January 13, 2015 07:34PM
The provincial government should be charging users less money for their smaller inadequate ferry. Where is its required elevator? How many years has the queen been the substitute? Bc ferries commitment to accessibility must be questioned as here is their accessibility statement ...

'Joint Committee on Accessibility

BC Ferries is committed to improving accessibility. There is a joint committee with representatives from various organizations for persons with special needs to better understand how BC Ferries can improve service for our customers with disabilities. The purpose of this committee is to review accessibility issues at BC Ferries and institute procedural and structural changes to improve accessibility.

While vessel modifications are often restricted by the age and physical structure as well as financial considerations, our new ferries are being built with barrier-free transportation in mind. '

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2015 10:18PM by Andrew P.
January 13, 2015 10:15PM
Remember this is only a 25 minute ride from one municipality to another. It is like a bus except somebody else is driving.

I do not see the #257 offering coffee, snacks or washrooms and it is a 40 minute journey from one municipality to another.

Be thankful Bowen did not get the MV Nimpkish which was the replacement for the North Island Princess on the Texada-Powell River route(35minute ride)

"Methinks thou dost protest too much"---that Billy guy from yesteryear.

"Everytime I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the human race" H.G. Wells(1866-1946)
__o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)
January 14, 2015 06:47AM
Andrew P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .....
> Where is its required elevator?

<snip />

> .....vessel modifications are often restricted by the age and physical structure...

Think they answered your question.
January 14, 2015 07:39AM
Peter,
Tuesdays 10:30 am ferry was fairly heavily overloaded. We did not get on - 7 cars back, and ~10 behind us, plus several who gave up.
Agree comments re staff doing their best.
Peter M
January 14, 2015 08:56AM
Mark you mentioned before only taking the ferry roughly six times a year.

Are you suggesting the province should continue providing us with non barrier free transportation for many years to come?
January 14, 2015 09:12AM
I am curious as to how Peter King's bus is doing. Off the 6:30 a.m Monday, I saw people standing. How are the later runs doing?
January 14, 2015 01:28PM
The Super Bus is quite well used. The 6:30 am and the 5:30 pm are the busiest. The other times are improving as people become aware of it. It is a concept which is being shown as a very useful and workable service.

Richard

Man cannot survive except by gaining knowledge, and reason is his only means to gain it. AynRand
January 14, 2015 02:26PM
Andrew,

If you take a look at the fleet vessels built since 1995 are equipped to handle disabilities. I believe the older boats that will be retired will be replaced by boats with the proper amenities for those that need it.

As for the time being it is what it is.

"Everytime I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the human race" H.G. Wells(1866-1946)
__o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)
January 14, 2015 05:32PM
Andrew P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you suggesting the province should continue providing us with non barrier free transportation for many years to come?

No, I am not.

Mentioned further up on this thread the Province says, "...vessel modifications are often restricted by the age and physical structure as well as financial considerations..."
January 15, 2015 06:44PM
Super Bus! What a great moniker for the service!
January 16, 2015 11:39AM
Brian, the Express Bus is doing quite well at the end of its second week. The travel patterns of the users clearly indicate that the 6:30am and 5:30 pm are the sailings of choice. The flexibility of taking 15th, Taylor Way or Capilano Road, depending on how the bridge traffic is works great. The 6:30 am gets you downtown as advertised at about 7:15, just like if you were driving a car. Where it makes its mark is the 7:30 am sailing where yes the cars get in front of the bus as they unload off the ferry as the bus waits for passengers walking off the ferry. The bus drives by the cars in the lineup at Lions Gate Bridge and gets into downtown first. Same thing holds true for the 8:30 am run.

The traffic in and out of Downtown Vancouver in the evening rush hour, even with the bus lanes, can at times be a challenge. Throw in a car accident or two on the causeway and it is a hustle. I really appreciate the relaxed driving on Bowen at this point. BC Ferries have been very helpful in making the service work so smoothly and the deck hands have been patient as I move through the centre over height lane which, thanks to some well placed poles, makes the opening too small for the bus with its mirrors.

Its nice to hear the conversation on board from passengers describing their time savings using the bus over driving and the convenience of being on a warm bus off the 6:30am run arriving Downtown Vancouver just minutes after the 257 left Horseshoe Bay. The consensus of users is that ridership would even be better if the service was integrated into the island bus service to provide a seamless service from the island to Downtown Vancouver and beyond. First things first, lets prove the ridership potential of the service then we can look at a long range plan to improve our commute to and from Downtown Vancouver. Its best to forward those comments and suggestions to Mayor, Council and BIMTAC.
January 16, 2015 07:32PM
I used it both ways today (6.30 in and 4.30 home) and it was flawless. Thanks, Peter!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login