Bowen Island Bowen Island
BowenOnline | Directory | | Accommodations |Classifieds | BC Ferry |Bus Schedule | Bowen Express Bus| Cormorant Marine | Bowen Land & Sea Taxi | Road Conditions |Bowen Phone E-Book |The Bowen Phone Book | | Bowen OnLine Advertising Rates |

Bowen OnLine Forum is a community chat forum. Registration with real names/emails required.
Don't attack others personally, keep your language decent and NO BICKERING.
Posts involving the exchange of money will be treated as classified ads. Info: barbarawiltshire@shaw.ca

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore, translink

Posted by Brian Hodgins 
I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore, translink
February 14, 2015 05:25PM
Peter introduced a thought that just got second paged, but deserves more exposure, I think, re a no vote is a tax revolt.
Was the movie called " network"? The news guy said "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore".
That's a strong sentiment here.
I am still a yes guy, because the whole "things have to get worse before they get better" is scary when visioning from the point of view those relying on public transit, inevitable congestion with predictable Metro growth, etc.. Transit users lose, while people like me, who last used public transit in August, 2014, get to be philosophical.
But the idea needs, I think, a chat.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2015 06:44PM by Brian Hodgins.
Re: I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it anymore, translink
February 15, 2015 09:14AM
Thanks for posting that Brian. I am thinking along the same wavelength. Commuters trying to use more sustainable transportation pay the price for a taxpayer revolt. The social conscience in me has always kind of liked the idea of sales tax because we as consumers have a choice about whether to purchase more stuff. And the higher $ consumer picks up the higher burden of taxes. I'm a yes vote.
February 15, 2015 01:42PM
A huge problem occurred when Falcon set up the 10 lane toll bridge. Rapid Transit down the highway over a smaller expanded bridge would have been more ideal. Also funding could have been available for better transit to UBC.

Province in this new scenario will still grab some administration fees for handling the new tax I am sure.

Overhaul translink first then come up with a local, regional, provincial transportation plan then decide how it will be funded.

"Everytime I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the human race" H.G. Wells(1866-1946)
__o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)
February 15, 2015 02:52PM
The loan for the 10 lane bridge is being paid by bridge user fees ; A step toward other road user fees that could reduce road usage.
February 15, 2015 04:32PM
Michael Smyth summed it up pretty well in his column in this Sunday Province when he said to cancel the plebiscite and fix Translink first. (I'd like to use the word postpone rather than cancel as I do see the need for improved funding for transit, given the growth in the region.) That way one would be voting on a clear issue rather than what we have now where the voting for improved transit gets lost as people are looking at voting yes or no on Translink as a protest. The mailout ballots have not gone to print yet so its not too late to postpone the vote until after Translink gets its house in order. Sounds like a reasonable approach as there really is no pressing need to do the vote right now. It could be delayed a number of months.
February 15, 2015 05:48PM
> The loan for the 10 lane bridge is being
> paid by bridge user fees

I'm always suspicious of tolls paying for $Bn bridge projects. If it was that profitable wouldn't companies be lining up to build the bridges themselves?
Wouldn't we already have a free market choice of half a dozen different toll alternatives to the Massey tunnel ?
February 15, 2015 06:07PM
I, too, am sick up and fed: Translink, unions, big-paycheck executives... But I have an idea: let's privatize translink, roads and highways, and the ferries. Bet Stone, Falcon, Clark, and Campbell never thought about that one, did they?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login