Bowen Island Bowen Island
BowenOnline | Directory | | Accommodations |Classifieds | BC Ferry |Bus Schedule | Bowen Express Bus| Cormorant Marine | Bowen Land & Sea Taxi | Road Conditions |Bowen Phone E-Book |The Bowen Phone Book | | Bowen OnLine Advertising Rates |

Bowen OnLine Forum is a community chat forum. Registration with real names/emails required.
Don't attack others personally, keep your language decent and NO BICKERING.
Posts involving the exchange of money will be treated as classified ads. Info: barbarawiltshire@shaw.ca

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Bowen Taxi - Community Information Meeting!

Posted by George Z 
Bowen Taxi - Community Information Meeting!
November 21, 2015 04:48PM
Mike Shannon and I will be hosting a community information meeting on Saturday, November 28 from 1pm to 3pm at Doc Morgan's (downstairs).

Besides clearing up any misconceptions people may have about past taxi initiatives... The intent of this meeting is to share our vision for the new privately funded taxi service, answer your questions, and most importantly, ask for your feedback so we can best tailor our service model to meet the needs of the community.

Hope to see your there!
Re: Bowen Taxi - Community Information Meeting!
November 21, 2015 06:30PM
Give us the business plan, details of your financial backing and your market research showing that there is an "Urgent Public Demand" so we have the ability to ask pertinent questions and not be subjected to another dose of the Shannon-Zawadzki Sideshow" propaganda. You have that information, don't you George?
November 22, 2015 01:57AM
Ted, seems to me by George's post that he and Mike intend to do just that at the meeting. Might I suggest you attend with an open mind, prepare yourself with your questions - many of which might be answered in their presentation before you ask them. For now, lay down your hackles and withdraw your claws - you are better than your post implies, right?
November 22, 2015 09:40AM
Cher

I appreciate the civility of your tone and would agree with you except for one important fact.

The request for support from the municipality is on Monday's council meeting agenda. I would be very disappointed in a council that supported the initiative without first examining the underlying market analysis to determine whether in fact there was a demand.
November 22, 2015 10:05AM
Ted, whether the council supports it or not will not stop a private taxi service from coming to Bowen Island. The only thing "urgent public need" determines, is how fast the Passenger Transportation Board processes and approves an application for a for a taxi license.
November 22, 2015 11:12AM
George, I am not attempting to stop a private taxi service from coming to Bowen Island. I welcome such a service and wish the operators success. What would like is that the municipality not be involved in any manner.
November 22, 2015 11:51AM
They won't be. All you had to do was ask that instead attacking us.
November 22, 2015 06:31PM
Back in 2001 I had to use Bowen Taxi for going to work and picking up my kids 24/7 and Wes used to pick up my scripts and food from the pub!! Ted you have not lived here long enough to know what a taxi service can do. JUST ASK WES AND CECILE what they did for the community!!! They picked up prescriptions for seniors, they brought children home from Tir Na Nog and they kept drunks off the road!!! What is wrong with a Taxi service on Bowen!! Years ago when you were not here there was a fundraiser for safe ride home – where did that $$$ go!!! George Z I applaud you and Mike for taking this on it is thankless job but you will keep everyone safe1111
November 22, 2015 06:58PM
Ted Evans have you ever lived in a small community like Bowen -
Van
November 22, 2015 07:44PM
The municipality does not need to be involved at all in order to indicate their support of this iniative and can be accomplished by simply writing a letter of support.

Cheers,
Van

"When times are hard, Go with the flow and sing a song in your head." Logan age 7
November 22, 2015 09:33PM
Van, that's all we are asking the municipality for. A letter.
November 22, 2015 09:37PM
Ted - what do you think of the $20,000 (or $30,000) BIM spent on Bowen Lift?
November 23, 2015 06:26AM
You know Andrew, I had one of those Bowen Lift tags things in my vehicle for the longest time without ever being approached. Enough proof for me that any money spend on the program was a complete waste.
November 23, 2015 06:55AM
Are you jestin me Bridget? Laughingly, Wikipedia shows our population density of our Municipal District as 0.00/sq km. Hard to get much smaller. To me Bowen is simply huge with all kinds of amenities. On Bowen we have a gas station, our own cop shop, a part time doctor, a bus - all kinds of things, even our own Legion. And I've never lived in a small community. It explains why my definition of a need is so small - if you are resourceful you don't need much.

And Bridget, I have never stated it wouldn't be nice to have a taxi service. It would be great. I just don't believe it is financial sustainable and don't want to end up paying for it through a taxpayer subsidy.
November 23, 2015 12:03PM
Wes and Cecile provided a necessary and sustainable business for many years and with sterling service. The problem for them was that it was hard as a married couple to run a 24/7 business together not to eventually burn out. When one was on duty the other was still affected by the business, late wake up calls, reduced social life together, constantly interrupted meals, no holidays etc.

A renewed cab service would be a move towards sustainability for Bowen. It is another local small employer who buys their gas and has their repairs done on Bowen, it reduces our carbon footprint, decreases the isolation and assists those without transport, means not every family has to own two SUVs to get their children to activities, supports single parents by having a safe mode of transport for their children while the parents are working off island etc.

If it needs it I truly hope the muni shows total support of this initiative. Good luck and thanks George and Mik.
November 23, 2015 12:03PM
Sorry repeat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2015 12:12PM by Julia Courtenay.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login