Bowen Island Bowen Island
BowenOnline | Directory | | Accommodations |Classifieds | BC Ferry |Bus Schedule | Bowen Express Bus| Cormorant Marine | Bowen Land & Sea Taxi |Bowen Phone E-Book |The Bowen Phone Book | | Bowen OnLine Advertising Rates |

Bowen OnLine Forum is a community chat forum. Registration with real names/emails required.
Don't attack others personally, keep your language decent and NO BICKERING.
Posts involving the exchange of money will be treated as classified ads. Info: barbarawiltshire@shaw.ca

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

excellent essay set in rural Texas, 2 sides of Trump's deportation strategy

Posted by Brian Hodgins 
excellent essay set in rural Texas, 2 sides of Trump's deportation strategy
March 19, 2017 08:07AM
An excellent essay from the Washington Post,,,this morning
The went to rural Texas to document 2 conflicting points of view through the eyes and experiences of neighbours, one, a 59 year old underemployed white woman, and next door, undocumented parents from Mexico, with 4 anchor baby children. Into the mix the authors throw local data that neither polarized position would subscribe to, but is refreshing to know.

For instance, one piece of information,, only 2 countries in the world recognize an anchor baby's right to citizenship, the US and Canada.

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 08:31AM by Brian Hodgins.
Re: excellent essay set in rural Texas, 2 sides of Trump's deportation strategy
March 19, 2017 01:09PM
Interesting video. and very telling.

What caught my attention was the white woman sitting in Grace Bible Church (so, I presume she thinks of herself as a good Christian), saying "You have this entire culture coming in and trying to change our culture. That's wrong"

What they don't seem to get is that their ancestors did the exact same thing to the indigenous peoples, going so far under Andrew Jackson as committing genocide.

I won't get into the Mexican-American War [en.wikipedia.org]
The most important component for me was seeing 2 views reported through the eyes of neighbours, then throwing in data.
When all of us can consume vast quantities of information, in carefully chosen silos, silos that frequently amount to echo chambers of affirmation, it is good to see reporters putting out multiple points of view, and exploring them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login