Bowen Island Bowen Island
BowenOnline | Directory | | Accommodations |Classifieds | BC Ferry |Bus Schedule | Bowen Express Bus| Cormorant Marine | Bowen Land & Sea Taxi |Bowen Phone E-Book |The Bowen Phone Book | | Bowen OnLine Advertising Rates |

Bowen OnLine Forum is a community chat forum. Registration with real names/emails required.
Don't attack others personally, keep your language decent and NO BICKERING.
Posts involving the exchange of money will be treated as classified ads. Info: barbarawiltshire@shaw.ca

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Time to sign up? Emergency Notification System

Posted by Maureen Nicholson 
Time to sign up? Emergency Notification System
September 06, 2017 10:30AM
I'm surprised that only some 10% of Bowen Islanders have signed up for the new municipal Emergency Notification System. Please think about signing up and encouraging family and friends to do so. It can be an important part of our emergency preparedness.

Link to sign up.
Re: Time to sign up? Emergency Notification System
September 06, 2017 06:57PM
Okay ... more than 100 people have signed up in the last 24 hours. Anyone because of this message? (Doing my social media effectiveness stats .. )
September 06, 2017 08:08PM
I tried completing the form with no success. Too many peculiar questions.
September 06, 2017 09:21PM
The essential ones have an asterisk beside them. Have to admit I was baffled by the latitude and longitude questions -- but they, like most of the q's, aren't required. Give it another shot. If you have troubles, Leo at the library can help.
Re: Time to sign up? Emergency Notification System - HELP HERE
September 07, 2017 07:42AM
But please don't just enter data for the two items with asterisks! This would make the entry useless. You should enter at least one way of contacting yourself. The problem here is that no one piece of contact information is essential, so none of those entries should be asterisked, but leaving them all blank is a waste. Similarly the "user id" (your log on code) and "PIN" (password) are not essential - you will be contacted in an emergency even if you have not entered these codes. However you can only subsequently edit your entry if you have entered id and PIN.

In the event of an emergency affecting you, the system will automatically try the contact means you specify in sequence until you respond, and then stop.

One of the major features of this system is that the ESS Director or alternate can define an area that the emergency affects, and only people in that area will be notified that there is a problem. Obviously for Bowen the post code is too broad brush to be useful. Presumably the lat / long helps in this regard. Directions for finding your lat long follow:
"On your computer (or the libraries computer) , open Google Maps. If you're using Maps in Lite mode, you’ll see a lightning bolt at the bottom and you won't be able to get the coordinates of a place.
Right-click the place or area on the map you want the lat / long for.
Select (left click) "What's here?"
At the bottom, you’ll see a card with the coordinates (lat and long)."

If still mystified, but willing, the muni office can help as well. Or state your specific problem here and I will try to help

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2017 08:07AM by Peter Matthews.
September 07, 2017 08:04AM
Useful! Thanks, Peter.
September 07, 2017 08:14AM
Thanks Peter.

After a couple of misfires I'm registered, but then this.

To complete the opt in for 6043191533 you MUST text ERMS START to 26311.(???????????????)
By opting in you agree to receive SMS messages. Message and data fees may apply. There is no guarantee of message delivery and message frequency will vary.
For help visit [www.ermsadvantage.com].

You can opt out at any time:
For 6043191533 text ERMS STOP to 26311(??????????????????)
September 07, 2017 12:37PM
It's an authentication step, Jim, so the notification system can contact you. Do you have a cell phone? You may have a text message sitting there from 26311 that you reply to with ERMS START.

At least, I think that's what's going on. :-)
September 07, 2017 12:38PM
BTW, we now have 14% of the island signed up. Good work spreading the news.
September 07, 2017 01:59PM
Yes I do have a cell (smart phone) and I did get a text message which makes no sense at all.

quote:

"(ERMS):1/2 BowENS:To opt in to ERMS alerts, reply ERMS START. Msq freq varies......"

what ever kind of nonsense is this?

Evidently I'm not the only one to be baffled by this well meaning but poorly designed site.
September 07, 2017 02:25PM
Just reply

ERMS START.
September 07, 2017 02:47PM
thanks for the help
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login