Bowen Island Bowen Island
BowenOnline | Directory | | Accommodations |Classifieds | BC Ferry |Bus Schedule | Bowen Express Bus| Cormorant Marine | Bowen Land & Sea Taxi | Road Conditions |Bowen Phone E-Book |The Bowen Phone Book | | Bowen OnLine Advertising Rates |

Bowen OnLine Forum is a community chat forum. Registration with real names/emails required.
Don't attack others personally, keep your language decent and NO BICKERING.
Posts involving the exchange of money will be treated as classified ads. Info: barbarawiltshire@shaw.ca

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

chaos in the Cove

Posted by JimMcC 
chaos in the Cove
November 01, 2017 01:12PM
Could someone please explain what is going on,or at least what the objectives are.
The intersection has been excavated three times during the past few months.
The main road is being worked on yet again.
Traffic control is virtually non existent.

Is anyone in charge?
Re: chaos in the Cove
November 01, 2017 02:05PM
I agree Jim, it's absolutely scary how poorly the traffic control is being handled
November 02, 2017 09:51AM
nobody seems willing to explain what's going on at the intersection in the Cove.

I cannot find anything on the BIM web site.

pitiful.
November 02, 2017 11:31AM
it is very simple
they dug the trench in the wrong place.
November 02, 2017 04:31PM
But there has been trenching on Miller Road, and Government Road above and below the intersection. As well as parallel to the new pub that may be finished in our life time. (Not forgetting that the old pub will be demolished, and then replaced with a new building).

The place is one awful mess, with no end in sight.
November 03, 2017 08:24AM
"Don't dig it there, dig it elsewhere.
You're digging it round and it ought to be square.
The shape of it's wrong, it's much too long,
And you can't put a hole where a hole don't belong."

Bernard Cribbins - 1962
November 03, 2017 02:46PM
All is quiet in the Cove today. I wonder what Monday's archaeological diggings will yield.
November 06, 2017 11:40AM
First new sewer lines were installed along Senior Lane and down along Miller Road with connections to Government Road. I think all the road work is done and finish paved and traffic control was local and fine.

Then BC Hydro installed ducting from down Dorman Road up to the corner at the end of the ferry marshaling.
Temporary "cold patch" pothole filler was put in the strip removed so the road could be used while the work was underway. Once the ducting was completed a paving crew arrived to replace the cold patch with actual asphalt to make the road better; there is still a bit more to do at Dorman Road and the intersection. In the spring the road will be fully repaved back to the condition it was in before this work was done.

The latest cut and installation of ducting from Senior Lane, across the corner and further down Govt Road was undertaken by Shaw coincidentally during the repaving. Shaw and BC Hydro could have coordinated but in spite of knowing each was going to be doing similar work, cooperation was not done.

Throughout the Cove work, traffic control was from off island and, in spite of local advise, did only a marginal job.

Richard

Man cannot survive except by gaining knowledge, and reason is his only means to gain it. AynRand
November 06, 2017 11:55AM
Thank you Richard and I agree that the traffic controllers from off island were/are less than competent.

We have excellent folks here on island who know how to direct traffic.

"there is still a bit more to do at Dorman Road and the intersection" aaaaaaaaagh!
November 14, 2017 05:50PM
Is there some way to force Hydro for sure, possibly shaw, to only hire local for traffic control? Especially if they will be back in the spring. My one experience with ferry marshaling when Hydro had blocked off 2 lanes going up the hill toward the school, such that there was NO SPACE provided for ferry marshaling, as I drove to the top to turn around I asked the flag person where the ferry marshaling was supposed to go. She replied she had no idea and did not know Bowen. NO KIDDING! Neither did her supervisor or anyone else apparently. How can make sure they and we get some much needed help for these projects?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login