Bowen Island Bowen Island
BowenOnline | Directory | | Accommodations |Classifieds | BC Ferry |Bus Schedule | Bowen Express Bus| Cormorant Marine | Bowen Land & Sea Taxi | Road Conditions |Bowen Phone E-Book |The Bowen Phone Book | | Bowen OnLine Advertising Rates |

Bowen OnLine Forum is a community chat forum. Registration with real names/emails required.
Don't attack others personally, keep your language decent and NO BICKERING.
Posts involving the exchange of money will be treated as classified ads. Info: barbarawiltshire@shaw.ca

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Bowen Island "Code of Conduct"

Posted by Museum & Archives 
Bowen Island "Code of Conduct"
November 28, 2017 01:09PM
Ian Henley dropped by the archives this morning and during our conversation he recalled a card (maybe 5"x7") that had a list of points for a respectful "Code of Conduct" for Bowen Islanders. This was something that many households had in the late 1960s or early 70s. Does anyone recall what was written on the card? Does anyone have one or a copy of one? Call Cathy at archives 604.947.2655 or bihistorians@telus.net
Re: Bowen Island "Code of Conduct"
November 28, 2017 03:31PM
This should make for some entertaining reading.
November 29, 2017 09:42AM
Rob and Sven pointed out that the document Ian Henley was talking about may be the "Bowen Pledge". Bowen Heritage has reprinted it and has them for sale - bowenheritage.org. All proceeds go to Bowen Heritage. $10.

The Bowen Pledge has 5 points:
1. To conserve natures bounty.
2. To respect private property.
3. To cause no annoyance to others.
4. To spread no litter.
5. To preserve the beauty of the island for others to enjoy.

I can't help but wonder what the 5 salient points of a 2017 Bowen Pledge would be? Would they be the same as the 1970s?
November 29, 2017 03:07PM
How times have changed ...

While reading the pledge, a picture came to mind of what was in late 70’s when we made Bowen our home port: It was how quiet the days were, beautiful quiet nature... and at dusk, we would sit on the front porch steps to watch the deer come down through the woods. Nature’s television for us.

It’s a very different time now. What I noticed most this past year was noise. Noise from machines.... generators, mowers, blowers, branch munchers, and chain saws and yes, sad to say, I’ve contributed my share to the din and even have some chain saw work scheduled .... can’t manage without the noisy tools that are available now.
November 29, 2017 05:25PM
"I can't help but wonder what the 5 salient points of a 2017 Bowen Pledge would be?"

How about:

The 2017 Bowen Pledge:

1. To conserve nature's bounty.
2. To respect private property.
3. To talk to neighbours and others instead of complaining about them on Facebook.
4. To respect the posted speed limits and drive accordingly.
5. To remember that nowhere in the world is parking on cross-hatched lines permissible.
6. To spread no litter.
7. To preserve the beauty of the island for others to enjoy.
8. To enjoy and promote the peace and calm of the island.

OP
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login