Bowen Island Bowen Island
BowenOnline | Directory | | Accommodations |Classifieds | BC Ferry |Bus Schedule | Bowen Express Bus| Cormorant Marine | Bowen Land & Sea Taxi | Road Conditions |Bowen Phone E-Book |The Bowen Phone Book | | Bowen OnLine Advertising Rates |

Bowen OnLine Forum is a community chat forum. Registration with real names/emails required.
Don't attack others personally, keep your language decent and NO BICKERING.
Posts involving the exchange of money will be treated as classified ads. Info: barbarawiltshire@shaw.ca

Foot passenger capacities
December 22, 2017 04:51PM
The cars get the attention at refit time,,,Bowen Queen vs the Cap. Cars, 60 vs 100
Just as important, how many indoor seats are on the 2 ferries?
My guess is it won’t just be an overloaded car deck, but it may be standing room only in the upstairs areas. Would there be a point where, in January, with the Bowen Queen on the run, that foot passengers would be denied access because the ferry was full?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2017 04:58PM by Brian Hodgins.
Re: Foot passenger capacities
December 22, 2017 05:06PM
The answer will be YES The ferries have a max capacity for passengers as well as cars
December 22, 2017 06:20PM
I’m not aware of a passenger overload being declared but very aware of vehicle overloads. So I think, in practice, BCF gives priority to passengers over vehicles. Happy to be corrected if wrong.
December 22, 2017 07:10PM
Found some data on passengers, crew included
Cap holds 457, Bowen Queen holds 400, so 57 fewer people, maybe it won’t be an issue. Maybe there are 300 or so seats in the 2 wings and the deck where there are booths. And 100 in the cars.
Youtube has a tour of the Bowen Queen, including the 3 seating areas. It sure doesn’t look like the sum of seats in the 3 areas will be adequate for many runs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2017 08:52PM by Brian Hodgins.
December 26, 2017 10:05PM
Yes they would be.

I was denied access as a passenger because I came down to the ferry just as they were loading and they had already counted as many passengers as they could take.

I will be going down much earlier.

Should be interesting though when the kids go back to school on that 7:30 run.

I have to walk on for now.

In years gone by there has really not been problems. People take the water taxi and four people to a car and find other forms of transportation.

I love the Bowen Queen. Been around since I was little.
December 27, 2017 10:18AM
The number of passengers allowed on the ferry- whether they are in a vehicle or on foot - depends on the number of life-jackets on board the ferry. - One life-jacket to each passenger.
December 28, 2017 01:42PM
The passenger capacity & minimum crew size( and life jackets) on all ferries is set by Transport Canada. BC ferries should charter a water taxi between busy sailings until the Cap is back. The Bowen Queen uses less fuel and has a smaller crew so the money is there
December 28, 2017 02:46PM
In the past BCF has stated that the money saved is absorbed into general operating costs, and is not utilized for the Bowen run as such.
December 28, 2017 04:43PM
The car issue I think will be huge, given how often the Cap is full or almost full including the wings. It is about a 35 car drop from the Cap ;(with wings) to the Queen. Drivers will adapt. They also board in an orderly first come, first served fashion.
On the other hand, foot passengers board as a hoard. and people like me who wobble a bit, have trouble with stairs, and need a seat to survive the crossing, finish last in that format. I will survive by going in on the first ferry in my car, and avoid the whole thing
I guess I would just ask, when seats are going to be at a premium on many runs, to watch out for people who might be slower getting across the deck, have trouble on the stairs, AND when they finally navigate to the seating area, if seats are at a premium, help them find one.
December 28, 2017 04:48PM
Then the Cost of a water taxi needed to meet THEIR service obligation can be paid by general operations
December 28, 2017 05:40PM
good luck!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login