Bowen Island Bowen Island
BowenOnline | Directory | | Accommodations |Classifieds | BC Ferry |Bus Schedule | Bowen Express Bus| Cormorant Marine | Bowen Land & Sea Taxi | Road Conditions |Bowen Phone E-Book |The Bowen Phone Book | | Bowen OnLine Advertising Rates |

Bowen OnLine Forum is a community chat forum. Registration with real names/emails required.
Don't attack others personally, keep your language decent and NO BICKERING.
Posts involving the exchange of money will be treated as classified ads. Info: barbarawiltshire@shaw.ca

Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Snug Cove confusion

Posted by JimMcC 
Snug Cove confusion
January 08, 2018 02:04PM
There have been comments elsewhere that traffic marshaling in the darkness of the early morning has been less than peaceful.

The RCMP has three individuals stationed on island. This would suggest that over a twenty four hour period there should be one RCMP presence.

Some of us wonder why the RCMP doesn't help with an orderly Cove traffic procedure.

We pay big bucks for them!
Re: Snug Cove confusion
January 08, 2018 05:18PM
Hi JIm,

I have seen a traffic control person in one of the high visibility vests walking up and down the double laned portion of the ferry loading area above Village Square. From what I have witnessed she has been attentive to managing issues, talking to and putting people at ease with all the chaos. If you have serious issue, I would suggest emailing BIM at the general email box at (bim att bimbc dott ca) and it should get the right person and they can call the police if it warrants it.

-Andrew Stone
January 08, 2018 06:35PM
Thanks, but I rarely ride the ferry.

Our on island traffic marshaling folk are terrific but they do not have overall jurisdiction and neither do our bylaw staff.

I've always thought that the mere passive presence of the venerable RCMP would be enough to keep those obnoxiously self entitled people to within the bounds of something approaching civilized behavior.
January 08, 2018 08:16PM
I agree with Jim.

Jewel is doing an EXCELLENT job marshaling the traffic but she obviously cannot intervene if arguments turn into physical altercations. RCMP just parked near the school where the double lanes turn into a single line might be a good idea.
January 09, 2018 10:32AM
Kelley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree with Jim.
>
> Jewel is doing an EXCELLENT job marshaling the
> traffic but she obviously cannot intervene if
> arguments turn into physical altercations. RCMP
> just parked near the school where the double lanes
> turn into a single line might be a good idea.

It makes more sense for the RCMP to be closer to the dock, usually in the areas where budging is most common. In my experience that's either down by the Paradise Grill / Marina parking or a bit higher around Tuscany.

What we would really benefit from is some CCTV cameras on utility poles along the entire ferry marshalling lane so that budgers would know that they are being caught on camera.
January 09, 2018 11:01AM
what possible use would CCTV be at 5:00am on a dark raining winter's morning?
January 09, 2018 01:16PM
JimMcC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what possible use would CCTV be at 5:00am on a
> dark raining winter's morning?

Are there many budgers at that time? Anyway I'm sure that some cameras are up to the task.
January 09, 2018 01:52PM
I really don't know what happens at that time of the night. I used to commute from 1978 to 2007, it was rather pleasant then.

Who pays for these CCTVs and who monitors them and who gets to flog the miscreants?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2018 04:22PM by JimMcC.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login